Monday, January 7, 2019

Thoughts on Mount TBR

To most people (at least to readers) the term TBR (to be read) refers to the couple of books they have waiting on their nightstand. To book bloggers and booktubers it means something entirely different. We don't just have a TBR, we have TBR piles. Yes, multiple piles! You'll find books scattered on every available surface, piled up in towers of possibility and immediacy. Review copies, books to read soon, books to read eventually, books you've been meaning to read for years...

I've long since graduated from simple TBR piles to a TBR mountain. Hyperbole? Not really. A tweet by Brianne offered the simple challenge to post a pic of your TBR (or the largest part of it). Here's a small glimpse of mine:

One of my bookcases, the majority of which remain unread
A selection of recent(ish) review copies and purchases
Mount TBR can be a huge source of anxiety. If I've kept my Goodreads updated correctly I have around 450 physical books sitting on my shelves waiting to be read. That number doesn't include review copies or the ebooks I own. At my current reading rate I should have enough physical reading material for the next ten years if I don't buy more books (we all know that's never going to happen!).

Instead of viewing Mount TBR as a shameful secret or source of anxiety I'm choosing to look at it as an investment in endless possibilities. Some people might invest in shares, I invest in books and the potential they hold. They are waiting there within easy reach, each filled with new worlds and characters to discover. While I might die before reading them all I wouldn't want it any other way.

How big is your TBR?

No comments:

Post a Comment