Monday, January 2, 2023

2023 Reading Goals

A stack of books

A new year means it's time to look back on the year that was and embrace the chance to start anew.

2022 was a tough year for me. I struggled with burnout and the constant load shedding (rolling blackouts) we are experiencing in South Africa didn't help at all. Having only a limited number of hours with electricity available each day sucked away all of my motivation and severely cut into the few hours of free time I would normally have devoted to the blog.

By some miracle I managed to achieve all of the 2022 goals I set for myself.

Read 50 books: I only just made it finishing my 50th book on the 27th of December. Cutting it very close.

Read at least 20 books I already own: I read 32 books from my own shelves. Really impressed by this.

Host the Science Fiction Invaders reading challenge: I'm calling this a success. The Science Fiction Invaders challenge was lots of fun and more people joined in than I could have ever hoped for.

2023 Goals

My goals for 2023 will be pretty simple.

Read 50 books:
I'm keeping my goal at 50 books. This was just high enough that it provided me with a challenge to chase and kept me on my toes.

Read at least 20 books I already own:
This one stays the same too. I really need to read the books I already own. The only change I'm going to make is to try to focus on books that have been on my shelves for years. There are literally books I've bought and have remained unread for a decade or more. I need to remedy their sad, unread plight.

Speculative Fiction Invaders Reading Challenge:
While the Science Fiction Invaders reading challenge was a lot of fun I've decided to morph it into the Speculative Fiction Invaders Reading challenge for this year. I want to be able to read more speculative fiction without having to restrict myself to just one sub-genre. Hopefully this challenge will be just as much fun and act as motivation to keep my reading momentum going.

Remember to have fun!
This is something I need to remind myself of. Reading and blogging is supposed to be fun. This is my escape from the world filled with all its burdens and stress. This is a hobby. Not work. I don't need to put pressure on myself to chase deadlines and views. I'm here to share my love of reading and most importantly to have fun!

***

Days filled with endless possibility stretch ahead of us. Let's enjoy every moment and hope that 2023 brings us joy in whatever form that might take.

No comments:

Post a Comment