Tuesday, February 1, 2022

The Science Fiction Invaders Book Tag

Any respectable reading challenge should have a book tag to go along with it. Introducing the Science Fiction Invaders Book Tag. Seven questions to get to know fellow science fiction fans and to bare your sci-fi soul to all. (If this is a total flop. Procrastination made me do it!)

1. Blast off:
Which book got you interested in or hooked you on science fiction?

Despite how problematic the author has become Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card was my gateway into science fiction. It's the one book I can still vividly remember reading as a teen and being blown away by the story. It inspired me to search out more stories like it, and I subsequently read the entire SFF section available in my small town library. Multiple times. 

2. Engage targeting systems:
What type of science fiction do you enjoy the most? Any specific tropes or sub-genre that makes something a must-read?

I've always been a huge fan of space opera. Give me galactic intrigue, huge spaceships and devastatingly powerful weapons and I'm as happy as can be.

3. Prime weapon systems:
What’s your favourite science fiction book series?

The Expanse series by James S.A. Corey is amazing, The Culture series by Iain M. Banks (which I still haven't had the heart to finish), Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds and The Polity novels by Neal Asher. I can't pick just one. They are all so good.

4. Disengage safeties:
What would you like to see more of in the genre?

More books focused on space exploration and encountering something alien and new. Something where we push our frontiers ever forward and outward just to see what wonders await. 

5. Weapons free:
What’s your favourite adaptation of a science fiction work?

The Expanse TV show has to be on the top of my list. I haven't watched the later series yet, but once I spotted the plumes from Enceladus in the intro, I knew we were in for something good.

6. Torpedoes away:
Share an unpopular opinion you have, which other sci-fi fans might judge you for.

Dune isn't that great. There, I said it.

7. Victory:
What’s the one sci-fi book you always recommend to someone? Why?

Another tough question. At the moment it has to be Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Tchaikovsky has this ability to bring non-human intelligences to vibrant life on the page.

***

I challenge you, yes YOU, to complete the tag in any format you like and to tag two other science fiction lovers in your life to do the same! Share in the fun, and get to know a little bit more about each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment