Wednesday, September 11, 2013

New Arrivals

As you might know from previous posts I'm really trying to cut back on buying books this year. My TBR Decimation challenge isn't quite working out as I intended, but I think requiring 10 books to be read for every new book I purchase was a tad unrealistic. I've readjusted my goal to a much more manageable 3 to 1 ratio. Currently I've read 43 books and I've bought 27 (including ebooks). Not quite there, but if I read more books in the coming months I might still make it.

On to the purchases.


I ordered the Culture box set which contains the first free novels in Iain M. Banks' Culture series. The copies I have were hand-me-downs and since they are looking quite tattered it was time for a refresh. In order to get free shipping I also ordered a copy of The Twelve by Justin Cronin. I still need to read the first book in the series, but I'll get there. Eventually.


I was also fortunate enough to win a copy of Paul McAuley's In The Mouth Of The Whale. I've been meaning to try his work for ages now and this just gives me an added incentive.

8 comments:

  1. The reading-to-buying ratio thing sounds like it might be a smart idea... I may steal it... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free! Just remember to start out with a more realistic goal. 10:1 was a huge reach.

      Delete
    2. Yes, 10:1 would likely be the death of me. Something like 3 or 5:1 is more workable, while still challenging my shameless bookworm self. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. You know I do. And it also means I can sneak it in as 1 purchase. :P

      Delete
    2. Omnibus editions are also good for this. :D

      Delete
  3. I need to read The Twelve - The Passage was just brilliant.

    I also got The Player of Games this week =D

    ReplyDelete