Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Massive Book Haul

As I humbly confessed in my previous post I'm somewhat of a book addict.  When it comes to buying books I buy in bulk.  This month was no exception and as luck would have it both my Bookdepository and Amazon orders arrived on the same day resulting in some very strange looks from the people at the Post Office.  I couldn't be more ecstatic though.

First up is my Amazon order.  It was the first time they offered free shipping to South Africa so I decided to give them a go.  A certain science fiction author had lots of praise for Abercrombie's work, so based on that I decided to get all his novels to date.  Nothing like jumping straight in, right?

Best Served Cold and The Heroes are truly gorgeous hardcovers with a nice tactile feel to their dust jackets.  The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged and Last Argument of Kings are paperback editions.  I was somewhat disappointed in the condition of The Blade Itself.  The cover has dog-eared corners, but I guess I should count my blessings since the box they arrived in was completely trashed.

Feed by Mira Grant and Peace and War (omnibus) by Joe Haldeman rounds off the Amazon order.  I've been meaning to check out Feed for a while now and Peace and War is one of those classic sci-fi novels that you just need to have on your shelf (or so I'm told).

That brings us to my Bookdepository order.  The Crippled God is the final novel in the Malazan series.  I haven't read any of them yet, but now I have the entire ten novel series ready and waiting on my shelf.

I also bought the entire Old Man's War series by John Scalzi.  I loved Old Man's War, but haven't read the rest of the novels.  With a movie in the pipeline I think I'll start from scratch on these.

The Chronicles of Solace series (The Depths of Time, The Ocean of Years and The Shores of Tomorrow) by Roger MacBride Allen sounded interesting.  I haven't read anything by him before so I don't know what to expect.

Robert Charles Wilson is another new author I want to try out and Spin seemed a good place to start.  The Dark Imbalance by Sean Williams & Shane Dix will hopefully round up the Evergence trilogy.  I ordered the other novels in the trilogy from a second hand shop, but they are still en-route.


The Uplift trilogy is one of those trilogies I've been meaning to read for ages.  An excerpt of Sundiver had me hooked years ago, but for some reason I never actually got round to buying the books.

The Desert Spear and The Name of the Wind was thrown in to slightly balance my science fiction bias.


Lastly I also received Buffy The vampire Slayer, Vol 2 after winning it from a Goodreads giveaway - the proverbial cherry on the cake!

Now excuse me while I go chortle with glee like a contented dragon over my newly acquired hoard...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment