Brown paper packages tied up with string. These are a few of my favourite things... Especially if the packages are book-shaped and come equipped with cryptic clues to reveal what wonders lurk within.
Like last year I've asked Tiemen Zwaan, the mastermind behind the blind book date initiative at the American Book Center in Amsterdam, to create a list of clues for you to try to decipher. And this year he has been particularly devious.
Your mission. if you are are brave and cunning enough to accept it, is to try to figure out which novels these clues refer to. Post your answers/guesses in the comments below and at the end of the month the answers will be revealed.
- Failed Author/ Hollywood/ Cloned for TV
- Cyberpunk/Mysterious Book/Djinn
- Cynical Surveyor/Ex-Lawyer/ Adorable Small Biped/ Courtroom Showdown
- Anglo-French Kingdom/Nuclear-powered Zeppelin / One-eyed, Cigar-chomping Monkey
- Crappy Island Vacation/It Blows your Mind/Not Your Average Hunger Games
- Humanity Almost Extinct/Gene Trade/Ooloi Gives You Pleasure
- Exoskeletons vs. Aliens/Live/Die/Repeat/ Tom on the Cover is kind of Scary
- Linked Combat Squad/Dead Sisters/King David
- Warship in Space/Legal Officer/Cover-up
- Cloistered Sanctuary/Young Fraa/Many Worlds Theorem
- (Relatively) Safer on Mars/Base without Adults/Teacher Robots
- Future plagued by Drought/Occupation/Young Tea Master
- Technology Driven by Insects/Endless War/Hard Boiled Female Bounty Hunter
- Recluse Scientist/Settled Solar System/Secrets of the Grandmother
- Military Scifi Psychological Horror Thriller/Partial Deconstructed Space Station/Alien Shadows
- Steampunk Classic/Steam-driven Cybernetic Engines/ Detective Story
- Stowaway Sky Surgeon/Diverse Crew/ Inter-dimensional Rifts
- Apocalyptic Wasteland/Lone Gunman/ Fear the Weir
- Mercenary with Ambition/Ship with Bad Luck/Armor Suit